It is very important to avoid errors during any lab-work or research process. Here are some steps required to prevent pipetting errors during lab-work:-
- You should clean and check your pipette properly after each use because a contamination-free pipette ensures accuracy. Make it a daily routine. Also, check for any damage prior to beginning work.
- It is extremely essential to have your pipette serviced after every six months (on an average). The servicing of the pipette includes the complete disassembling of the pipette for re-calibration and replacement of broken parts.
- Before using the pipettes, you should have a decent knowledge of proper pipetting techniques. Make sure you follow some simple techniques while using a pipette:
- Start practicing a smooth and slow motion
- Pre-wet the pipette tip before you start the process
- Hold the pipette vertically when drawing in liquid and at a 45 degree angle when dispensing in liquid
- Immerse the tip slightly into the liquid during the aspiration process
- Touch off the pipette on the sidewall of the container
- It is very important to use a pipette with a volume selection closest to the volume required for the aspiration or dispensing process. For example, if you need to dispense 15 microliters, a 20 microliter pipette would be an ideal choice.
- The environmental conditions should be taken into account. You should consider the consistency of temperature, pressure, humidity, etc. before you start using pipettes for any research work. It is important because an inconsistent environment will affect the accuracy of your results as liquids are susceptible to all types of environmental changes. Also, it is safe to allow your pipette to adjust according to the environmental conditions.
- Always try and keep your pipette safe like never hold your pipette when you’re not using it, never put it down on the lab bench, always keep it on a stand, always store it in an upright position e.tc.
- It is better to use a new tip every time or whenever you test a new liquid. A tip that is continually used for different tests and substances is susceptible to cross contamination.
These few and simple tips can help you a lot during your research work. Remember, prevention is always better than cure.
Abdos Micro-pipette Tips: Universal and compatible with various other brands of pipettes
- Abdos Tips are manufactured in state of art precision-moulded facility using high purity virgin polypropylene.
- Micro Tips are DNase, RNase and Pyrogen free.
- Designed for use in a wide variety of pipetting applications and are compatible with different types of u-Pipettes.
- Clean and the hydrophobic surface ensures low retention, increased accuracy and reproducibility.
- More transparency for clear visualization in molecular biology work.
- High clarity and finer tip orifice makes the tip more suitable for molecular biology and precise applications.
- Perfect airtight grip on pipette by inner radial rings for accurate pipetting.
- The orifice is precisely centered for directional accuracy.
- Can be autoclaved
For more information on code, capacity or compatibility of the Abdos micro-pipettes, log on to http://www.abdoslabware.com/micro-tips.html