A magnetic stirrer is a device that employs a rotating magnetic field to cause a stir bar immersed in a liquid to spin very quickly, thus stirring it. The rotating field can be created either by setting some stationary electromagnets or by a rotating magnet, placed beneath the vessel with the liquid.
Working principle of Magnetic Stirrer
The magnetic stirrers work on the principle of using an external magnetic field for mixing the solutions. The external magnetic field rotates a small magnetic bar that has been placed in the desired mixture. Unlike the conventional process of stirring or mixing liquids where the action is externally generated and usually mixing blades are used, magnetic stirring is accomplished by a coated magnet immersed in the sample container. The configuration of the immersed magnet can be that of a bar, oval, pellet or egg. The configuration of the magnet reportedly depends on the size and configuration of the sample container.
History of Magnetic Stirrer
The magnetic stirrer is also known as magnetic mixer and it is invented by Arthur Rosinger of Newark, New Jersey, USA. He obtained the US Patent 2,350,534, titled Magnetic Stirrer on 6 June 1944 that included a brief description of his invention.
The first multi-point magnetic stirrer was developed and patented by Salvador Bonet of SBS Company in 1977. He also introduced the practice of noting the denomination of stirring power in “liters of water”, which is a market standard today.
Advantages of Magnetic Stirrer
- It minimizes the risks of contamination over conventional stirring or mixing systems since it only uses a stir bar or coated immersed magnets (also called ‘fleas’) that are chemically inert. These fleas can be easily cleaned and disinfected as compared to the more laborious cleaning and disinfecting steps involved in cleaning and disinfectant processes of mixing tools with complex configurations.
- Also, they don’t require any kind of lubricants for the mixing process. The lubricants generally could contaminate the reaction vessel and the product as well.
- It is critical for consistent and reproducible mixing i.e. it can mix the solutions over long time scales. For example: A protein dialysis requires multi-hour or overnight sample mixing. Also, protein dialysis is extremely sensitive to bacterial contamination.
- Due to the flexible properties, they can also be used inside hermetically closed vessels or systems.
Why is a magnetic stirrer better than a motorized stirrer for lab purposes?
Magnetic stirrers are the most preferred devices for mixing liquids in chemistry and biological laboratories. It is far better than motorized stirrers because of following properties:-
- Magnetic stirrers are quieter
- They are more efficient
- They don’t have any moving external parts so no fear of breaking or wearing out
- They can be easily cleaned and sterilized
- They don’t require lubricants so no fear of contamination during the process
Whereas, one may find these above mentioned difficulties while using motorized stirrers.
Abdos Labware offers magnetic stirrer: Swirl Top
A renowned name in Labware products, Abdos Labtech Pvt Ltd. offers SwirlTop magnetic stirrer with compatible and efficient features:-
- Swirl Top unit feature an extremely durable, chemical resistant white ceramic work surface.
- Swirl Top has advanced microprocessor control with convenient turn knobs that allow quick, precise adjustment and maintains accurate temperature and speed.
- Swirl Top is compatible with a wide variety of popular glass beakers, flasks, bottles and vessels.
- E11215 comes complete with support rod for mounting thermometers and temperature probes.
For a detailed information about the voltage, frequency, dimension, weight e.tc, please visit http://www.abdoslabware.com/wavemax-rocking-shaker.html
For a wide range of other Labware products and equipment, log on to http://www.abdoslabware.com/
We as team want to serve the scientific fraternity through our quality product and services. Maintaining the quality assurance, Abdos always look forward to create more-n-more plastic Labware products that make the lab work easier and efficient.